15 replies to this topic

#1 CathiJuarez

CathiJuarez

Advanced Prayer Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:33 AM

Is buying Lottery tickets against GOD will? Please I would like to know.

#2 eric

eric

PrayWay.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

Hmmmm, thats a good question. It seems that the Bible generally forbids gambling. It also demonstrates that we should be good stewards with what God's given us. That said, I'll admit I buy a few tickets per year. In my mind a few dollars spent on entertainment isn't so bad, when there are so many other ways to waste it. And just think what you could do for God's kingdom if you won. On the other hand, gambling is a serious addiction for many people... I'd like to hear some wise old Christian comment on this one...

#3 blackbirdsinginginthedeadofnight

blackbirdsinginginthedeadofnight

PrayWay Community Elder

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:21 AM

I confess! I buy lotto tickets. Every once in a while. I limit it to one. I figure if God has a plan for that money and would like to use me for it, then I shall participate! Once I stood behind someone who was purchasing $100 worth of tickets! Someone else said they thought that was a good investment, since the stakes were high in that one. But that seemed a little ridiculous to me. I figure that one ticket is enough, because it's in God's hands. If I win, then He would be behind that, and it would go to His glory. If it would be His will that I won, then one ticket is enough! At the same time, I fear the burden of having so much money, so it's kind of a challenge to me to be open to the responsibility. It's strange, because I am very comfortable being extremely poor! Not estatic about my situation, but in some ways it relieves me of some greater responsibility. I guess my stance is that the reality is money is neither good nor bad. It just is. The intention behind the purchase is probably the most important aspect to consider.

#4 STAR

STAR

Prayer Power Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:16 AM

Hello, I believe that gambling is against God's will, buying a lotto ticket would be the same as any other gambling, my soul is too precious to send it to hell over a little money, besides the love of money is the root of all evil, so if I gamble that means I am trying to gain more money. God said he would supply my needs so why should I gamble. If I had a lot of money I might not need God as much as I do, and that is scary just to think about. So I will leave the gambling to someone else, I am happy and content in my little corner of the world, and with the things that God has entrusted to my care. Star

#5 eric

eric

PrayWay.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the advice :) I don't think anyone needs to worry about going to hell if they buy a lottery ticket (or any other sin for that matter), as long as they've been redeemed by Christ. But as Paul said, should we then go on sinning because of his grace? Of course not. And that's where your conviction is correct...if it's a sin, then we are motivated by God's love and our desire to serve him to be obedient and abstain from that sin.

#6 STAR

STAR

Prayer Power Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:43 AM

Thank you Eric for the post, you said that very well. I think we are on the same track, Star

#7 winkink

winkink

Advanced Prayer Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:33 AM

I truly believe that Gods word is very clear about gambling and that even buying one ticket a year is not pleasing to him. The whole world of gambling wreaks havoc on peoples lives, destroys peoples finances, creates addictions and tears families apart. Not to mention the atmosphere where most gambling takes place. I believe that just one lottery ticket is a compromise and that it is opening a door that the devil would just love to come into. Why risk it and why do anything that we have to repent of and ask forgiveness for.....there are so many other ways to spend that dollar. One dollar could feed a hungry soul.

#8 blackbirdsinginginthedeadofnight

PrayWay Community Elder

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

It's a really good question and the responses here are worthy of consideration, for sure! ;)

#9 In His Name

In His Name

Prayer Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:41 AM

In actuallity we gamble every day. Not with money but with our lives. Our big question is do we live for God or for the world? When we chose to live in the world and feed our flesh (old nature) that is taking a big gamble. I think, and this is only MY opinion, that when we fail and a non believer sees us, they say ha ha ha even the "christian" can not live like they say that they do. That gamble may have cost a soul for Christ as we may be the only Bible some people read. That said, I am guilty of purchasing lottery tickets on the rare occasions I am in a place that actually sells them. We do not have the lottery system up and running here in Oklahoma just yet.

#10 jackieclinton

jackieclinton

New Prayer Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:45 PM

:) not if He told you to

#11 eric

eric

PrayWay.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:43 PM

this is an interesting debate... So far it sounds like its probably best to just not buy lottery tickets. But then again you bring up an interesting point- what if God tells you to buy one? But would he or could He actually do that? We know that He won't contradict the Word...so I guess that brings us in a full circle; does the Bible truly forbid it? Hmmm.... And what about eating donuts? The Bible clearly says that we're the Temple of the Holy Spirit, so is eating donuts a sin? :unsure:

#12 In His Name

In His Name

Prayer Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:48 PM

:) Well Eric, that is a very good question. Paul said in Romans 7:14-20 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

Being as we exercise our old nature (sin) daily, what are we to say then, that a donut is wrong and a lottery ticket is right or a lottery ticket is right and a donut is wrong?

I am a type 2 diabetic, and if I had only one dollar and had to chose between the donut and the lottery ticket, I may chose the ticket as it will not cause my blood sugar to go way high. Of course the smart choice would be to take my dollar and leave the store. :lol:

#13 blackbirdsinginginthedeadofnight

PrayWay Community Elder

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:41 PM

"As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ has died. Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall. So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin." Romans 14:14-23 So, are lotto tickets unclean? Honestly, for me, it is not something that keeps me awake at night. I am still stumbling through trying to figure out what is love! I guess I go back to my original statements here...money in general I have struggled to understand it's purpose and significance in life. By putting it out of mind, I avoid the responsibility of it, which is not beneficial. Winning the lottery is highly unlikely. There is the temptation of the "quick fix" where things get transformed financially in an instant! But then there is the burden of money, too. Some people have financial resources that are available to them that go beyond what a lotto winning would likely be. Is that sinful? Why does a doctor get paid more than a teacher? Why does a teacher get paid more than a police officer? Why are some work efforts rewarded so richly, while others do twice the work and suffer with just barely getting by? A lotto ticket is a pipe dream. It's cheered me up on days without a dream. But winning is not really my dream, either. Does get one thinking though, right? Well, let me not cause an obstacle for anyone else. Amen!

#14 patches

patches

PrayWay Community Elder

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,527 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

Wow, your lounge talk is so refreshing. That is why I can spend hours by visiting your site. Not much of a contributor myself but I want to share this words of God with all of you. Romans 3:23-24 TLB, "Yes, all have sinned, all fall short of God's glorious ideal, yet now God declares us 'not guilty' of offending him if we trust in Jesus Christ, who in his kindness freely takes away our sins. :lol:

#15 Friarbob

Friarbob

Prayer Team

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

I don't remember who said it but I once heard a preacher call the lottery " the tax on fools"